- Knowing a few good workout tips will make your routine safe and successful
- Warming up your muscles is like greasing an engine. Your body will flexibly run better with a proper warm up routine
- Stand tall when exercising. Slouching will leave more room for back and neck injuries.
- Use all your muscles when working out and use them at full range. This will give you the optimal results
- Stay in control with the heaviness of the weights and the speed of the cardio equipment. Keeping a workout at a slower, controlled pace will add endurance and better control
No matter where you work out, whether the gym or your home, taking the right measures to exercise safely and correctly for the most effective results is quite essential for the home or gym workout routine. No matter what your age is or how physically fit you are, there are some guidelines which should be followed to avoid injuries while following any gym workout routine or home exercise program. The following are five essential secrets to a safe and successful workout routine.
1. WARMING UP & COOLING DOWN are important factors of a good workout routine. Muscles tend to stretch or contract more efficiently when they are warmed. With a good muscle warm up of pre-stretching exercises, you will add more flexibility to your muscles. This will lead to endurance increase and less risk of injury or post workout pain. One of the ways you can steadily increase the temperature of your muscle is to spend a few minutes walking on the treadmill. When your workout is complete, stretch your major muscles. If at the gym, there should be a trainer to assist if you are unsure about this process. Just as muscle warm up is important, cooling down after a workout will also keep your body’s flexibility.
2. PROPER POSTURE when lifting weights or doing aerobic fitness exercise is very important for your overall health safety. If proper form is not used, the risk of pulled muscles, back issues, and torn tendons will increase by far. On cardio equipment, stand tall with an incline and speed setting at a rate where holding on to the side rails is unnecessary. Keep your body lifted when using the stair steppers. Do not lean forward. The speed should be set to feel you are walking up a flight of stairs with a natural effort. On elliptical machines, extend your legs fully. Always sit upright when riding the bikes. Good posture while using free weights is keeping the spine in line from the neck to the tailbone. To prevent neck pain, do not tilt your head forward. At a standing position, bend your knees and tuck under the pelvis to decrease strain to the back.
3. USE FULL RANGE OF MOTION when performing aerobic fitness exercises or using weights. This will enhance muscle strength since a complete extension and flexion is performed. As a result, there will be increased mobility of joints. Take large striding steps as your full range of motion on the treadmill. Use full extension with curls. Using full range of motion will keep the muscles performing at their optimal level.
4. USE ALL MUSCLE GROUPS while at the gym. Avoid only working out some of the muscle groups to prevent imbalance. This will avoid various injuries as well as a body which is noticeably miss-proportioned.
5. PROPER WEIGHT AND SPEED should be chosen for lifting and cardio workouts. Settings for cardio equipment and the weight for your lifting routines should be at levels you are able to handle with good control. Overdoing speed will leave you with less control and susceptibility for injury.
Following a few simple suggestions will give you the successful workout you are looking. There will be little wear and tear on your muscles, less chance for injury, and a body formed to your liking.